Friday 8 June 2007

The eighth of June

The eighth day was really good, we caught a train to a town called Potsdam (just outside of Berlin) and we went on a tour! We were on a bus, and you got on and off at places, like palaces. We saw the New Palace, Sanssouci Castle, Cecilienhof Castle and the Old Market. While we at these places, we saw other things, too, like while we were at the Sanssouci Castle, we looked at the grave of Fredrich the great. We could only look at the outsides of the palaces, and we came back later to some and see if we could get inside. My favorite place on the tour was the New Palace, where the king lived in one castle with his family- well, not quite with his family- the king had a small palace outside the New Palace- which no-one could enter except him, which he would sleep, listen to music, and do all the personal things he wanted to do. There was also a separate palace for all of the stewards and butlers where they prepared food. When the food was prepared, the stewards wheeled the food through to the castle underground, and get this- they had to whistle the whole time. Can you guess why? They whistled to tell the king they were not eating the food they made for him! As a souvenir I used my vacation money to buy a book about the history of Berlin and a bookmark that had pictures and information on the kings in the past from 1701 to1918, which is two-hundred and nineteen years! Jack got a pencil with a plastic crown on the top- which was very typical for Jack. The Sanssouci Palace had a statue of three women on the top, holding a crown. This was done because the king was not happy with the women in real life, and he said, “I shall forever put you on my rooftop to support the throne after your nasty deeds!” and each of the three’s behind pointed out to their own country, (Russia and two others.) Later on we caught a bus to the train station, and caught a train to meet Leith, my dad and one of his friends. We then all out for dinner. Jack and I had meatballs and vegetables in sauce. Pretty much all of the adults had the same thing too. We went out for ice-cream afterwards. I didn’t have anything- (as usual.) At about eight we were on the train- leaving to go back to Berlin- but I thought it was great!

3 comments:

The Cruickshanks said...

Hi Everyone,

Wow, what an amazing trip you are having. I loved the photos of lego Land. I also loved the pictures of all the old buildings, Mum must be having fun.

Nicholas is missing you terribly. I have had to put a note on the fridge to remind him when you come back because all I have heard is" When are Nick and Jack back".

I have just had 4 days off work and i think Megan and Nicholas weren't to happy because I made them clean their rooms. We through out so much junk.

Give mum, dad and jack a bigh kiss and cuddle from me. Don't tell Jack it is from me until you have done it.

We are loving reading about your trip, it just sounds amazing and I would love to look at your book when you get back because one of my dreams is to visit the castles in Scotland one day.

Love The Cruickshank

Nick said...

Hey guys- Nick, I AM coming back! Ha! I'm having a wonderful time, how are things in Melbourne? Contact me soon,

Nick M.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicholas, mum, dad & Jack,
you sound like you're having a fantastic time!
All the old buildings would be wonderful to see, it's been great to get your photos.
You should see Jarrod & Hannah tomorrow, please give them our love, have a great week in Paris, get Uncle Jarrod to help you with your French! Love Auntie Jeanette.